Re: Gulp valves and their replacement or repair

To: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Subject: Re: Gulp valves and their replacement or repair
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:39:03 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Steve Patchel wrote:

> John:
>
> Sounds like you have found the problem (pardon the pun)in the sticking gulp
> valve.
>
> My suggestion is to again remove it and spray it with carb cleaner and try
> to get the mechanism as free as possible.

I thought about spraying carb cleaner into the mechanism, but the valve and
seat looked a bit like they were rubber and some sort of cheesy
polyethylene/nylon plastic. Also, I was afraid that the diaphragm in the
gulp valve was made of rubber and would dissolve or it would meet some other
sort of horrible fate typical of lbcs. Now that someone else has
suggested that, I feel like it might be a good idea now :)

> Sometimes even buying a new one is
> no guarantee of an improvement, it once took me (back in the early 70's)
> three units to get one that worked properly on my 71B.

At $80 each, it doesn't look like that will happen soon! However,
backfires in some areas of Southern California can be mistaken for something
else and elicit unwanted return fire =:0

> Alternatively, disconnect the air pump's fan belt and be done with it.
> Depending on your local state's inspection criteria, you can either leave
> the pump disconnected or remove it entirely. Removing it entirely allows you
> to store it (pumps left on the car tend to "freeze up") and then reconnect
> it when it comes time for the emission's test.

Of course I would never think of altering the emmissions control devices
on my auto, given that the actual performance of said items is, in the
eyes of the law, secondary to their just being present, whether they work
or not.

If one were to store a backup airpump, what would one do to ensure it's
safe storage etc so that it could be depended on to perform its statutory
function during the bienniel visits to the SMOG Nazis?

Thanks

John Peloquin
Entomology
UC Riverside