Re: Wire Wheel/tubes or not?

To: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel/tubes or not?
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 17:23:26 -0800
>>Bill, you are kidding. Its foolish to risk your life on wires without tubes.
>Clean the inside of the rims and the rubber can be gotten from a motorcycle
>store. I have seen several wrappings of thick electrical tape used but I don't
>know how long it lasts.
>
>Mike Leckstein

I couldn't agree more! Both my MG's have wires and I wouldn't even consider
running them without tubes. I replaced all the tubes in my TC (4.5 X 19)
last year for less than $40 CDN that's $8 a wheel for peace of mind. Go
cheap on frills if you like but for brakes, steering, tires and wheels DO
THE RIGHT THING!

As for the tape in place of rubber on the inside of the wheel there IS
something that is perfect.  3M makes a high voltage insulating tape (SCOTCH
88 600V/layer) that is sticky on both sides and vulcanizes at room
temperature over time.  You can wrap this stuff on as thick or as thin as
you like and it will become a solid rubber piece shaped to the contour of
your wheel. Up-side is it lasts for ever. The down-side is it's probably
more expensive than the regular rubber rings and once applied and allowed to
vulcanize it's the very devil to remove.  You won't find the stuff at you
neigbourhood hardware store either.  If you to try it you'll have to get to
an electrical supplies wholesaler, one who supplies industrial electrical firms.
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        1947 MG-TC 3528
                                                1966 MGB-GT