RE: MGB tires + question (again)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB tires + question (again)
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 14:31:09 +0100
Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that originally MGB's (62-67)
were factory equipped with 155SR14 tires.

After '67 (Mk II) they got 165SR14.

You can easily replace them by wider/lower sidewall tires as long as
the overall diameter stays the same.
This means 155SR14 equals 175/70SR14 .
and 165SR14 equals 185/70SR14 (dia. 24.5" against 24.6")

The steering will be a bit heavier with wider tires, though.
I don't know what problems they present with wire wheels.

Question: Does anyone have some advice on using minilite replica's. I
plan to convert my steel wheels to them. Is 5JX14 a good option or
should I go wider to 5,5Jx14?

Bert Otten

>185/70 R14's are just a smidge oversized in diameter compared to the
> original and a bit wider. I think someone calculated it to be less
>than 5%
>No clearance problems and they handle pretty well

Chris Reichle