Marvel Mystery Oil

Subject: Marvel Mystery Oil
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:40:11 -0500 (EST)
I'd just like to defend the "reputation" of MMO... it will NOT cause
adverse effects like fouling plugs, etc. in the quantities used in
filling the SU carbs.

I've run quite a bit of this stuff through the MG and Spitfire engines
with moderately leaking and flow-through carb dampers.  No fouling or
even change in plug color, no additional smoke in the tailpipe, etc.

MMO is great in that it is a light oil, nice color, smells good.  It
makes a good winter damping fluid for HIF4s, and year-round for HS2s.
(To those of you who will write again and say "why not use ATF?", it's
because I don't have any automatic transmission vehicles, and my carbs
don't leak any more (knock on sheet metal)).  It is doing an excellent
job of rust-proofing the inside of my boot (damn can sprang a leak).

Whether it really provides top-end lubrication or any of its other design
attributes, I couldn't tell you.  I'd tend to doubt it.  It's innocuous
if not beneficial.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Gerrold's Fundamental Truth:
  It's a good thing money can't buy happiness.
  We couldn't stand the commercials."