New Top Installation Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Top Installation Questions
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 12:05:58 -0600
Finally getting around to installing my new (hood) top.  I think it's a
Robbins, if I remember correctly which one I ordered 18 months ago.  The
installation instructions included are rather sparse.  I have painted
the frame, installed it back onto the car, and have the top snapped on
and laid over the frame to give it time to relax and let the folds
flatten out.

Questions:

1.  The old top was contact cemented to the top of the header bar.  The
installation instructions mention nothing about cementing the material
to the bar; they just say to stretch it and fasten it under the seal
mounting strip.  Should I cement it or not?

2.  There is a cross-bar on the frame that contacts the top just above
the rear window.  The top has a double flap of extra material that would
appear to fasten to the frame cross-bar.  The bar also showed contact
cement residue.  Do I re-cement the flap to the bar, or should it be
sewn around the bar?

3.  How tightly should I stretch the top?  Should I do it outdoors in
the sunlight so the top is soft, or should I do it in a warm garage?

Any help here will be appreciated.
--
Wayne M. Kube
Plano, TX