Re: New Top Installation Questions

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Subject: Re: New Top Installation Questions
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:31:42 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Wayne Kube wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1.  The old top was contact cemented to the top of the header bar.  The
> installation instructions mention nothing about cementing the material
> to the bar; they just say to stretch it and fasten it under the seal
> mounting strip.  Should I cement it or not?

Yes, this helps hold the load in a distributed fashion, not just on the
screws.  A Good Thing.

> 2.  There is a cross-bar on the frame that contacts the top just above
> the rear window.  The top has a double flap of extra material that would
> appear to fasten to the frame cross-bar.  The bar also showed contact
> cement residue.  Do I re-cement the flap to the bar, or should it be
> sewn around the bar?

I've left this unattached to ease stowage (word?) of the top.  It's
supposed to be glued, but I'd prefer a velcro or snap system, myself.

> 3.  How tightly should I stretch the top?  Should I do it outdoors in
> the sunlight so the top is soft, or should I do it in a warm garage?

We did both the Spitfire top and the MG top in warmish weather.  You
should leave 'a little' slack in the top if most temperatures you will be
facing are colder than the current one.  This is easier than the other
way around (putting it on too tight in cold weather, so it is tight
enough in warm? Naah).  It's better to be slightly loose if you like to
put the top down in cool weather, and even more important, if you like to
successfully put the top UP in cold weather.

60 degrees or more will help the glue cure faster as well.  90 degrees
works too.

I'm assuming you are talking about a vinyl top here, with cloth I
understand temperature is much less of an issue.

John M. Trindle     | TSCC-Net Host      | jtrindle@tsquare.com
T-Square Company    | ISS/FSPlan for FS5 | trindle@widomaker.com
Flight Deck IFT-PRO | http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"The more things stay the same, the less they change. - Spinal Tap"