Re: Attaching Folding Frame to car

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Attaching Folding Frame to car
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 08:56:24 +0500
Empress Thorpe wrote:

>If you, Ross, want to keep the fold down top (assuming that's what you have)
>you need to find a set of the longer screws that go all the way through
>everthing.

Could the PO have kludged it together because the welded nuts that the
screws attach to came off?  The ones on my 77B did, and getting a wrench
back behind the metal to hold a free nut is NOT fun (almost got my arm
permanently stuck in that little cavity once).  I can easily see
why somebody would go with a more cheezy attachment method if their
<Ahem!> nuts fell off.

>> Also, on my 66 MGB should the frame really be grey??  Mine is painted black
>> (by the PO) and I like it that way :-)
>
>I vaguely remember the fold down frames on later cars being black.  Anybody
>else?

I think the transition between grey and black frames was with the
introduction of the Michelotti-designed folding hood on 1970 models.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html