It's In There!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It's In There!
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 19:42:21 -0400
What a weekend! After a horrifying thought that the clutch wasn't right, and
some useful advice from this group, as well as our local mechanical guru to
confirm all was OK - the engine's in!

Bill Glanville was absolutlely correct, the transmission mounts are the
worst #$%@^&& to try and %^@^%$ align between two $^#@ plates, and a rubber
mount! Yarghhh!! From garage floor to engine bay took about 20 minutes.
Getting those four &^%# bolts into the tranny took eight hours! $@#! But,
they're in, and we've got pretty well along in re-hooking everything back up
- now, if it'll start?!

As for the alternator mount, I'm off tomorrow to secure a 3 1/2" bolt, and a
2" tube for a sleeve, which should stabalize the puppy against that
too-far-to-the-rear mounting bracket.

I'm pleased with results thus far - which have included stripping the engine
bay, changing from Inca Yellow/various hues of sprayed black, and many
layers of grease to Damask. I've paid attention to detail along the way, not
overly festidious, but practical and pleasing to the eye. No awards here,
but man, it looks nice!

I was particularly please that one other member of the MG stable fired up
from a winter's slumber in fine style. In order to swing the hoist and
engine about the garage, I had to move the BGT out of the way and actually
leave it sitting outdoors!!!  8-(

Tomorrow, Vic British is to deliver the small hose I require for the cooling
system. This is the little number that joins the pump to a cast iron
'elbow', which in turn connects to the lower rad hose. There's a brass
fitting on the top of this elbow to route into the heater hose. These little
guys are difficult to find.

Our next act - to complete installation of the rad & cooling components,
finalize the alternator, install the carbs - and we're ready for testing
1-2-3...

Oh puleeze...

Terry
mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com