Re: What to do?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What to do?
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:01:58 CST
When I addressed a similar situation a short time ago, I took the
engine and tranny out (I was replacing the tranny with an overdrive
unit) and looked at the bearings for low oil pressure.  One rod
bearing was worn pretty badly.  My machinist measured the crank and
told me that it was still within specs (but just barely).  I decided
to turn the crank (about $50) before replacing the bearings.  Also
replaced the oil pump and the oil pressure release valve.  I now show
70-75 lb oil pressure at any rpm above the 650 rpm idle.  As memory
serves, oil pressure is 55+ even at warm idle.  I couldn't be happier
with the results.

My advice - Take the engine out and do it right.  No sense in doing
rings etc unless you are burning oil or suspect you will soon.  But
when you do the bottom end of the engine, do it all and do it right.
Any other action is wasted effort and false economy.

> Date sent:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:22:20 -0500 (EST)
> From:           Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu>
> To:             "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Copies to:      british cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
> Subject:        What to do?
> Send reply to:  Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu>

>     Hello all,
>
>     Well, I lent my 72 MGB to my brother for a week.  On Tuesday he
> called to say that the motor was making a funny sound, sort of a
> knocking/rattling sound.  I went to retrieve the car and found that he
> had run it out of oil ("didn't you notice that there was no oil
> preasure?"  "well, no lights came on...")
>
>     So last night I pulled the oil pan and sure enough one of the rod
> bearings is very unusual looking, sort of like an old paper fan.
> However, I can't see any scoring on the crankshaft.
>
>     So, the question is, can I just replace the rod bearings and go
> on my merry way?  Should I go for the "minor" engine rebuild (rings, rod
> bearings, camshaft, timing gear) with the engine in the car?  Or is this
> all a waste of time because if the rod bearings are gone the mains are
> sure to follow?
>

>     Guidance quickly please, I would like to gather the parts to do
> this tommrow.
>
> Rob Rhodes              Columbia, S.C.
> 72 B

Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago