Re: What to do?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, aa101479@dasher.csd.sc.edu
Subject: Re: What to do?
From: kboetzer@Auspex.Com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:17:27 -0800

>       Well, I lent my 72 MGB to my brother for a week.  On Tuesday he
> called to say that the motor was making a funny sound, sort of a
> knocking/rattling sound.  I went to retrieve the car and found that he
> had run it out of oil ("didn't you notice that there was no oil
> preasure?"  "well, no lights came on...")
>
>       So last night I pulled the oil pan and sure enough one of the rod
> bearings is very unusual looking, sort of like an old paper fan.
> However, I can't see any scoring on the crankshaft.
>
>       So, the question is, can I just replace the rod bearings and go
> on my merry way?  Should I go for the "minor" engine rebuild (rings, rod
> bearings, camshaft, timing gear) with the engine in the car?  Or is this
> all a waste of time because if the rod bearings are gone the mains are
> sure to follow?
>

>       Guidance quickly please, I would like to gather the parts to do
> this tommrow.
>
> Rob Rhodes                            Columbia, S.C.
> 72 B

Rob,

The chances of crank damage are very high! You must measure the crank journal
with a micrometer. Check in several directions for roundness. The surface must
be almost mirrorlike or you will be back into the engine within weeks (days?)
of the rebuild.

If it was mine I'd pull the engine for a complete check and rebuild. :-(

Good luck, and Deepest sympathies

Ken