Re: What to do?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What to do?
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 96 11:59:26 EST
In message <9603291617.AA02326@daffy.auspex.com> Ken Boetzer writes:
> The chances of crank damage are very high! You must measure the crank journal
> with a micrometer. Check in several directions for roundness. The surface
> must
> be almost mirrorlike or you will be back into the engine within weeks (days?)
> of the rebuild.

Is that "penny test" of any value in evaluating the crank surfaces on an old LBC
(not for roundness, but for surface regularity) ? That is, you try to score the
bearing surface with the edge of a copper penny. If the surface doesn't pick up
any copper from the penny, then the surface is smooth enough. Just wonderin'.
One of those things my dad taught me. Like "brake jobs are cheaper than clutch
jobs, so get your foot off it!"

Dave Culgan
LBC's with worn out brakes