Re: Floor rust - B

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Floor rust - B
From: Roe <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:11:55 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jay, I have the same problem with my 80B on the floors. I plan to wire
brush floors, grind off the surface rust with a good hand rotary sander,
hand sand crevices the best I can, prime with rustoleum, and paint the
regular car color over that. After which will put a light coating of oil over
the paint(grease will probably be too messy and have an odor inside the car).
I plan to avoid the rust dissolving chemical since I would be unable to get
all the chemical out prior to painting.The oil is the best deterent for
rust since where there is no air- or is it oxygen- there can be no rust!
I thought there was no rust on my 80B floor until I lifted up those spongy
yellow oem sound deadening mats covering the floor(found surface rust and
a small hole).Believe this is the 1st winter the 80B has ever been
through, since the car is from texas. The underside of car I plan to
smear heavily with grease & spray other hard to reach spots with oil
like inside rockers and up inside fenders. Any other thoughts on rust
prevention would be greatly appreciated. Almost forgot, also plan to use
Waxyol & will install the inside fender protectors from Moss, British
Victoria also sells em. Phil...