Re: New MGB

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MGB
From: Jallard@gonzo.wolfenet.com (John Allard)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
>        The owner refused to sell several years ago @ $20,000 Canadian or
>$1.96 US.
>
>        (This should throw some interesting oil on the fire)

The first, the last, the most notoriious, the most noteworthy examples of a
car always command the highest price.  If the genteleman doesn't want to
sell his 1980 MGB for $20,000 more power to him!!!!!!
This thread started out with somebody advertising a 1967 MGB (NOTE: NONE of
the above!) for what I would consider to be an outlandish price.  But what I
consider to be outlandish may be reasonable to somebody else!!!  The fact
that the car is at a "CLASSIC CAR LOT"  tells me some slicko in a two piece
polyester suit is looking for an uninformed "SUCKER" to make his day and his
mortgage payment.  Would the car bring this price at auction?  I don't think
so!!
What I have noted with interest over the past few days is that NOBODY jumped
on the fact that a real piece of MG history, and a very well restored and
cared for example at that, (the SECOND MGB built and the first one with LHD)
could be had for $12,000 and no interest was forthcoming!!  Now I would pay
$12,000 for THAT car ANYDAY!!!  Somebody else can pay $15,000 for a '67.  In
another 10 years I would still have a piece of history, a nice car to drive
(IF I could bring myself to drive it!) and a bona fide investment.  The
person who buys that '67 is going to have a 39 year old sports car that they
paid far too much money for in TODAY'S market.
I won't go spouting comparables, or auction results or anything else.  I
think that the MGB is undervalued in today's market, and having two of them
I would like to see them appreciate.  They are a well balanced, (dare I say
nimble?) car that exemplifies what is best about the British Sports Car.
Maybe the quintessential example of the genre.  But as far as I am concerned
(and it would be MY money if I was interested) a PERFECTLY RESTORED '67 MGB
would not be worth the type of money this outfit wants for it.  A coccooned
new example with verifiable mileage MIGHT be worth it to somebody, but not
to me.
This whole thread reminds me of the torrid appreciation Ferraris went
through a few years ago (and Corvettes and later, Jaguar).  The cars were
gaining 50% and more in value a year as speculators purchased and
re-purchased models that had been in VOLUME production to values into the
millions.  While those of us who are genuine enthusiasts sat on the
sidelines, pretty boys with Gold Rolexes on their wrists (I was going to say
Paget Faliques, but don't know how to spell it!) and hair shirts
complimented themselves on their impeccible tastes, their business accumen
and their soon to be realized profits!!!!
When reality set in and the house of cards they created collapsed, a lot of
banks ended up owning Ferraris!!!!!!
Just my two cents worth!!!
John
John Allard
>1946 Allard L-1 Touring Car
>1954 Allard Palm Beach Mk I
>1968 MGB Roadster o/d ww rough (and for sale!)
>1969 MGB GT (under reconstructive surgery)
>1980 Triumph TR 7 (future project)
>1986 Mazda RX 7 (with all these British Cars, I have to have SOMETHING I
can trust!
1983 Chevrolet Conversion Van by Trailwagons Inc.
BSA 441cc Victor
BSA 600cc Gold Star (500 with factory kit)
Email at: Jallard@gonzo.wolfe.net
          JohnALLARD@AOL.COM
Snail mail to: 1602 South 5th Ave.
               Yakima WA, 98902-5926
Voice Mail:  509/457-5901
World Wide Web Page: (and the location for the Allard World Wide Web Page)
http://www.wolfenet.com/~jallard