Re: Sputtering MGA

To: MR JOHN M ROGERS <VFVR80E@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Sputtering MGA
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, MR JOHN M ROGERS wrote:

> I am figuring a fuel problem.  I have installed an inline glass filter
> in front of the carbs.  It doesn't look too bad ( a little bit of fine
> rust particulate).  I have also torn down the fuel pump, cleaning out
> the filter in it.  The diaphram looked just a bit aged but not cracked
> (I didn't rebuild it.. should I?).  I've also rebuilt the carbs.
> (before I had this problem).   Maybe the float needles are sticking
> shut/open?

Open your front fuel bowl and take a peak inside. Stir around in the
bottom with a small screwdriver. Lots of fine brown powder in the bottom?
That's your problem. Clean it out, as a temprary fix and to convince
yourself that this is in fact the problem.
This stuff is so fine that it goes through your fuel filter. I have a new
tank, but it came with some specks of rust already installed.
I am going to try a super fine filter as sold by Summit racing. I'll clean
out the fuel bowls, install the filter, then check again after a while.
If this works, I'll let the list know.

Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy