Re: Denise Thorpe Rumor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Denise Thorpe Rumor
From: Stephen Brook <em92ssb@brunel.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 23:04:20 BST
> >BTW, how much does a lordship cost?  Could I be Lord Denise?  Would that
> >get me out of speeding tickets?
>
>         You could never be "Lord" Denise; you could, however, be "Lady"
> Denise.  It's a sexist thing of nobility.  {Sexism, however, is NOT noble}

If you are interested, you could buy yourself the title 'Lord/Lady of the Manor'
or some other minor title of nobility. These are readily available (totally
legally) where the title is currently defunct in a particular area. They do
not give you any real powers (you do *not* get a seat in the House of
Lords, the UK's Upper House!!) but sometimes you get to exercise
ancient privileges.

For instance, some titles may allow you to drive sheep through the local
town on the second Friday of every month. One guy bought himself a
title and found that he owned all of the grass verges by the side of the
road in his area. His is not allowed to sell this land, but he is perfectly
able to charge British Telecom an annual rent for each telegraph pole on
it - and he does!!

And no, you can't get out of speeding tickets. Sorry. And for those of
you who think this may be a late April fool, I assure you that it's not!!

Stephen Brook
Brunel University
London
http://http2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~em92ssb/