Re: Transmission oil

To: Greg Johnson <ab916@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:35:22 -500
On 24 Apr 96 at 16:06, Greg Johnson wrote:

> Roger G's SOL tech article on Lubricants recommends 30 wt oil in the
> transmission for MGB's .  However the Hanes and Original Manual ('64)
> recommends 20w50.

Uh, er, you don't beleive the manual, do you? Actually, either of those is
fine, but stay away from gear oil, or ATF. Basicly, the factory reccommended
Motor Oil.

> I'm replacing the oil in my tranny, and am not sure what was in it (well,
> black oil).

A bottle of olive oil might be better than that! As they're not subject to
by-products of combustion, it's awful hard for tranny oil to turn black, even
if left for years...

>  I drive in spring/summer/fall, in Nova Scotia (warmish summers) and put 30
> WT HD (high-detergent) in my '72 B's engine.

See? Motor oil. You can just stick that in your tranny too. The
multi-viscosity oil may perform better in some temperature ranges. Some racers
use straight 50W...

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      |
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!