Re: Leaking petrol!!

To: bernie@central.co.nz (Bernadette Roche), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaking petrol!!
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 08:00:15 CST
> Date sent:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:03:54 +1200
> To:             mgs@autox.team.net
> From:           bernie@central.co.nz (Bernadette Roche)
> Subject:        Leaking petrol!!
> Send reply to:  bernie@central.co.nz (Bernadette Roche)

> Hi
>
> Driving home last night I noticed that my 72 MGB GT was losing power and
> there was a strong smell of petrol, and when I parked the car I noticed  a
> large puddle of petrol under the engine.  Today, we looked to see what was
> causing the leak, and found that the petrol was escaping from a tube that
> runs down the side of the engine.  From the workshop manual it appears to be
> called a vent tube?  The carburettors fitted to this car are SU type HIF and
> the one which is leaking is closest to the back of the engine.
>
> When the ignition was turned on without starting the engine, the petrol pump
> forced petrol through the carburettors resulting in petrol immediately
> squirting out of this tube.
>
> Can anyone help solve this problem, or at least tell me what is causing it.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bernie & Dave
>
> 1972  Red MGBGT automatic.
> 1990  Red MR2.

Yep.  Your float valve in the rear carb is stuck open.  Quick fix -
tap on the carb with anything til the float valve breaks free and
seals again.  But best fix is to take the carb off, clean it out,
reinstall it, then replace the inline fuel filter, etc, etc.
Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago