Leaking petrol!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking petrol!!
From: bernie@central.co.nz (Bernadette Roche)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 15:03:54 +1200
Hi

Driving home last night I noticed that my 72 MGB GT was losing power and
there was a strong smell of petrol, and when I parked the car I noticed  a
large puddle of petrol under the engine.  Today, we looked to see what was
causing the leak, and found that the petrol was escaping from a tube that
runs down the side of the engine.  From the workshop manual it appears to be
called a vent tube?  The carburettors fitted to this car are SU type HIF and
the one which is leaking is closest to the back of the engine.

When the ignition was turned on without starting the engine, the petrol pump
forced petrol through the carburettors resulting in petrol immediately
squirting out of this tube.

Can anyone help solve this problem, or at least tell me what is causing it.

Thanks

Bernie & Dave

1972  Red MGBGT automatic.
1990  Red MR2.