Re: Leaking petrol!!

To: bernie@central.co.nz (Bernadette Roche)
Subject: Re: Leaking petrol!!
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:27:43 -0700
>Driving home last night I noticed that my 72 MGB GT was losing power and
>there was a strong smell of petrol, and when I parked the car I noticed  a
>large puddle of petrol under the engine.  Today, we looked to see what was
>causing the leak, and found that the petrol was escaping from a tube that
>runs down the side of the engine.  From the workshop manual it appears to be
>called a vent tube?  The carburettors fitted to this car are SU type HIF and
>the one which is leaking is closest to the back of the engine.
>
>When the ignition was turned on without starting the engine, the petrol pump
>forced petrol through the carburettors resulting in petrol immediately
>squirting out of this tube.
>
>Can anyone help solve this problem, or at least tell me what is causing it.

Hi Bernie (& Dave)

The problem you're experiencing is either a stuck needle in the float
chamber or a float that has sprung a leak and sunk too low in the float to
close off the needle.  The repair for either one is easy and cheap but
should be done ASAP.  If you require more info email me, I'll be glad to
help.  (been there....done that.... bought the T-shirt.)

As a quick fix you might try giving the offending float a sharp rap. It may
(temporarily) free a stuck needle.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net