RE: Do you consider these MGs?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Do you consider these MGs?
From: Stephen Brook <em92ssb@brunel.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 00:02:06 BST
> be MGs.  The Metro followed the same formula as the first MG.  It was
> another company's car, but with better trim and performance.  The MG
> Owner's Club and MG Car Club both consider the Metro to be an MG.  I
> think we should too, it save dthe nameplate for a good number of
> years.

Yes, sure Metro, Maestro and Montego were all MGs, and people are
quite rightly proud of their MG versions of each of these cars.

But let us not forget that Austin Rover (as they were then) certainly
did not grace these cars with the MG badge because they earned
it by being good sportscars. The one and only reason that Austin Rover
called them MGs was because it was a cheap marketing trick
that helped sell mediocre, low quality cars. Thank goodness the
MGF is actually a genuine sportscar, and not just another re-hash
to try and keep the name alive like the RV8 was.

Stephen Brook
Brunel University
London
http://http2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~em92ssb/