Advice on buying an MG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice on buying an MG
From: rickn@postoffice.ptd.net (Rick)
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 08:11:10 -0400 (EDT)
I am new to the list and to British cars. Last December I had a ride in an
MGB and decided that I need to buy one. I found a 68 MGB that is in the
middle of a restoration project and the guy has decided to sell it as is. He
has replaced all the rust areas (floor pans and back pannels) and it is in
prime ready to paint. It will need interior work, the dash is good and all
the guages work. It has 80,000 miles and the engine sounded strong. I could
not drive it because the seats are out. Lots of boxes of stuff that he took
off the car. He has owned it since 1970 and he was getting it restored for
his daughter but he has his own business and that is taking a lot of his time.

I am not a mechanic and my experience on working with cars is very little.
Am I making a mistake? Is this a difficult car to work? Do most people start
restoring a car and then give it up? I do have a friend who is a
professional mechanic and has owned MGBs before but his time is limited like
all of us.

My heart wants this car but I may be over my head. Any advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks
-Rick