Re: Bleeding the clutch line...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding the clutch line...
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:51:43 -0800
Michael L. Hendrick wrote:

   >After 4 attempts at bleeding the clutch system on my '78 Midget...
   >I have to ask what the secret is.  ...There must be
   >a better way than trying to force air ...

Yes it is a problem!!  The best thing I have found is the "Ezebleed"
device that is sold by Moss, Vic Brit, etc.  It uses low air pressure
(approx 15 psi) to force a coninuous flow of brake fluid through the
system.  It makes changing the fluid & bleeding a true one man job.  I
highly recommend it.  (no financial interest, etc)  As a matter of fact,
you can build one if you prefer.  I know I have seen a description on
either this net or Porschephiles.

Even with Ezebleed,  the one thing that I found that really helps with the
clutch is a loop in the line such that the fluid must go up hill before it
goes down into the bottle.  See crude ascii drawing below

                _
               / \
 _______       |  | <--- Line for excess fluid
| slave |_____/   |
|_______|         |

                \ | /  <---- bottle for collecting fluid
                 \_/

I think this helps keep the air out of the slave, because even with the
positive pressure of the Ezebleed type system the fluid sometimes escapes
faster than it is replaced and thus air gets sucked back in.  But with the
loop, all the air naturally travels up hill away from the slave and only
fluid is near the bleed valve.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Center for Aviation/Aerospace Research          Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA