Re: Batteries

To: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Batteries
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:41:15 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Marc Steinberg wrote:

> I seem to be the proud owner of two dead-as-a-doornail 6volt batteries.
>
> The local MG shop tells me that I should replace them with two new
> 6volters (cost, $62.95 apiece) rather than a _much_ cheaper 12volt.
> Why?  Allegedly, because the amperage is higher with the 6volters "...and
> with those early cars, you need it!" and, less convincingly, "...because
> that's what came on the car."
>
> Anybody care to opine?  I sure would like to go with the single 12volt
> unless there really is a good functional reason to stay with the little guys.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Marc

I agree. I wouldn't trade in my 2 six volters. They give me incredible
cranking power, necessary when temperatures fall below zero. Or if the
car just doesn't want to start right away.

The price isn't bad either. I replaced mine three years ago after
shopping around at a cost of $45 each. However the 17HF batteries sell
between $75 to $100 apiece at some of the name establishments.

The 19L six volt batteries (used in Volkswagons) are cheaper and easier
to find, and they fit snugly in the holders (but then its tough to pull
them back out again).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net