Stiff Steering - Things NOT to do, and things TO try...

To: "'MGList'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stiff Steering - Things NOT to do, and things TO try...
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 08:46:03 +0100
Hehehehe..  I've got to laugh at myself sometimes...

My steering has been rather stiff since I purchased my 72 MGB/GT.
(About one year ago.)  I greased the king pins about 4 months ago,
and that helped.  Then, while reading through the mighty MOSS catalogue,
they had a side bar - Stiff steering?  Try this:

Jack up the front end, and then turn the wheels from lock to lock.  Grease
the kingpins, and do it again.  Repeat for a while.  You should be able to
freely spin the steering wheel by moving the wheels back and forth with
your hands.

Yep, did the grease, moved the steerig wheel, no problem.  Went into the
cab, and then started turning the wheel myself.  Started hearing this click,
click noise, and then when the wheel was turned all the way left, it locked
up!  Couldn't free it, couldn't move it with the wheels, etc.

Hmmm..  What could it be?  After scratching my head for a while, and not
figuring it out, I started dissassembling the steering rack.  Off came the
bolts, pulled apart the junction between the rack and pinion, still no
luck.  Disconnected the U joint just in front of the firewall. Pulled the lower
steering column out and then suddenly, the wheels started pivioting again!
Went back in the cab, and the steering wheel would Still Not Turn!  Then
it hit me:

Doh!  Locking Steering Column without the KEY IN!

It took me another couple of hours to get everything back together, and I
didn't get the steering wheel straight, but that should be easy to fix.  Live
and learn!

Dave Hall

dhall@vcd.hp.com