RE: Stiff Steering -... (loose steering column)

To: "'Greg Johnson'" <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Subject: RE: Stiff Steering -... (loose steering column)
From: "David M. Hall" <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:28:38 +0100
Greg Johnson wrote:
> David M. Hall wrote:
> >
> > Hehehehe..  I've got to laugh at myself sometimes...
> >
> > My steering has been rather stiff since I purchased my 72 MGB/GT.
>
> ---snip snip---
>
> > Went back in the cab, and the steering wheel would Still Not Turn!  Then
> > it hit me:
> >
> > Doh!  Locking Steering Column without the KEY IN!
> >

> Funny, my 72 roadster doesn't have a locking steering column.
>
> > It took me another couple of hours to get everything back together, and I
> > didn't get the steering wheel straight, but that should be easy to fix.
>Live
> > and learn!
>
> My steering column has been "loose "  since I've owned it.  it has
>considerable
> up-and-down and in-and-out movement.  rattles like crazy on a gravel road.
>
> Can these be refurbished?   Did 70-76 have the same steering column?

Yah, my steering column is a bit "loose" as well.  I can grab the wheel, move
it
up and down about 1/8" clunk, clunk, clunk.  In the process of fixing my
mistake last night, I read something like... "If your steering column has play
in it, you will need to replace the felt and nylon (something or other) in the
steering column."  So, yes, it sounds like it can be refurbished..

Dave Hall

dhall@vcd.hp.com