Re: Stiff Steering -... (loose steering column)

To: "David M. Hall" <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Stiff Steering -... (loose steering column)
From: Greg Johnson <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 13:59:42 -0700
David M. Hall wrote:

> Greg Johnson wrote:

> > My steering column has been "loose "  since I've owned it.  it has
>considerable
> > up-and-down and in-and-out movement.  rattles like crazy on a gravel road.
> >
> > Can these be refurbished?   Did 70-76 have the same steering column?
> >

> Yah, my steering column is a bit "loose" as well.  I can grab the wheel, move
>it
> up and down about 1/8" clunk, clunk, clunk.  In the process of fixing my
> mistake last night, I read something like... "If your steering column has play
> in it, you will need to replace the felt and nylon (something or other) in the
> steering column."  So, yes, it sounds like it can be refurbished..

Are you sure what you were reading was refering to this particular, collapsable
steering
column?

   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html