Fwd: Re: 79MGB Clutch prob.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: 79MGB Clutch prob.
From: WheelsAZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:00:17 -0400
On 96-05-29, curt1@ix.netcom.com (Curtis A. Metz) wrote:

>I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it wouldn't go. I pulled over
managed to get it into first, turned around and came home and it
shifted but very hard. Turns out I was nearly out of clutch fluid, the
rubber boot on the slave cylinder was in pieces. Took of slave,
replaced the rubber bits, refitted and bled. No problems. Well until I
tried to go anywhere. It won't go into gear.

>Did I do something wrong? Do I need a new clutch? I really don't want
to take my engine out... again. It's in the low 80's (Farenheit). I
want by baby to go.

It doesn't sound like a clutch problem, either clutch master/slave, or
gearbox (Bigger problem).
Try to bleed the clutch again.  Previous posts to this list have mentioned
the difficulties associated with clutch bleeding, that is it doesn't go as
quickly as bleeding brakes.

Mark Jurras wrote on 5-13-96:
 "With my wife at the controls, we tried the open, pump, close,
release, method. Never got fluid or anything. After I got impatiant I
opened the bleed screw and told her to pump it as fast as she could.
This got the fluid down to the slave and we went back to the proper
method."

John M. Trindle wrote also on 5-13-96:
 "It takes about 50% longer than is reasonable (in other words, like the
brake system) to bleed the clutch.
I replaced the hose to the slave cylinder, and then ran into this situation.
 I tried, for a long time, gave up for the day, came back the next, and after
about 3 cycles got movement in the throw out bearing.  Once it starts moving,
it might be helpful to brace the throw out actuating fork so it doesn't
move... with brakes you are pushing the pads against the disks (or whatever)
but with clutch you have much more travel.  Slows things down. "

Make sure you are seeing action at the slave cyl/clutch fork.
Keep pumping, and good luck!!

     Andy Zuch   79MGB
                       61 MGA