Re: +4 Motor Rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: +4 Motor Rebuild
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:51:19 -0400
In a previous post I wrote:

>In my (limited) experience, the piston assembly has always been done dry.

Just to make sure everyone understands what I mean: I have not used any
lubricant to assemble rings on pistons.  I have done that "dry."  OTOH, I
have wetted the cylinder walls with motor oil when I tap the new pistons
into place and once more just before the head goes on.  I have not used
assy. lube on any of *these* surfaces.  Engine oil will burn away when the
motor is first started up, but probably helps during those first few seconds
that the otherwise fairly "dry" newly assembled engine is running.  Same
purpose, really, for assy. lube on cam surfaces, tho I'm not sure how
"cleanly" assy. lube will burn off of cylinder walls.

I'm not the final word on this (I can't be!): any comments from others?

WZ