Follow-up Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front

To: dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Follow-up Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front hubs?
From: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:30:58
On June 6th The Warped Goat wrote to say:

>I was planning on renewing the lower A-arm bushings today, but I
>didn't get as far as getting the hubs off.  The grease retaining
>cups immediately inside the front hubs of my 1968 MGB are stuck.
>I have tried amazing amounts of leverage against nuts that I
>threaded onto the bolt that protrudes from the
>cup to no avail.
>
>Anyone have this problem?  Short of attaching a stinger missile to
>the bolt and letting to loose, I can't see how to remove them.
>Maybe a couple of draft horses, one pulling on each hub at the
>same time?  :)

I was pretty smug since I was in the middle of rebushing my A-arms
and I knew that you didn't need to remove the grease cup to
accomplish this. Well, over the weekend I moved on to repacking the
front wheel bearings. For this you do need to remove the grease
cups.

On a wire wheel car they are buried down in the hub and have a 5/16
fine stud protruding from them. I approched the drivers side and
grabed the stud with my long nose pliers and it came right out.
When I finished packing the bearing on that side I reinstalled the
cup and moved around to the passenger side. The D#$% cup would not
budge.

It became plain that I was going to have to fashion some sort of
tool so before leaving for the hardware store I went back to the
drives side to remove the cup I had just installed and the D#$%
thing would not move!

At the hardware store I found a 2" long intnally threaded coupler
and a 5/16 threaded rod. The only trouble was the threads were 5/16
corse instead of fine. I force threaded the coupler onto the grease
cups and with the rod in the other end with a nut and washer on it
and a heavy socket inbetween I effectively had a slide hammer. The
D#$% cups came right out!

The rod, coupler, nut and washer went into my "special MG tools"
drawer and will see use the next time I have to repack the
bearings.

>benj@proxima.cc.colorado.edu                 1968 MGB MkII
>b_edwards@rikki.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Trek 2300
Dura-Ace STI