The Prince of inadequate lighting has found me!

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MV.Unisys.COM>
Subject: The Prince of inadequate lighting has found me!
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.MV.UNISYS.COM
Date: 12 JUN 96 10:05
  With all this talk of voltage regulators, the list has jinxed me.  Phil,
the Prince of Inadequate Light and ruler of all Heck has found MILOU!
  Since MILOU had not stretched her pretty legs in six weeks, I thought
I'd take her out today.  Cleared her off (funny how anything that remains
immobile for more than 24 hours in the garage immediately becomes
submerged in stuff), switched on the ignition.  Fuel gauge pops up to half
full, fuel pump starts clicking.  Wait for the pump to slow down, pull
the starter.  The starter cranks pretty well, and then suddenly, nothing.
Dead stop. Fuel gauge reads zero, no fuel pump clicking. Switch off, switch
on: same thing.  So I disconnect the ground to the battery, hand turn the
starter shaft: it's not jammed.  Reconnect the battery.  Fuel gauge SLOWLY
moves up (not normal. it usually pops up). Pull starter, fuel gauge drops
to zero, starter gives no sign of wanting to turn, even after manual rotation.
Release starter, fuel gauge creeps up.  Switch off ignition, and
the fuel gauge stays ON, fuel pump is clicking. Switch on, no change, switch
off, no change.
  There's no smell of smoke leaking out.  Popped the cover on the regulator,
and all seems OK.  There is another metal box on the firewall that I've
never dismantled, and I don't know what it is...
  Headlights seem bright when I'm not pulling the starter.  Fuses look OK.
  WHAT'S THE DEAL?  Internal short in the battery? (doesn't explain the
ignition that won't switch off) Bad ignition switch? (doesn't explain the
starter that won't turn)
  Oh, wisdom of the net, tell me how to exorcise Phil from poor MILOU,
that I might again feel my lack of hair flying in the wind!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*