Re: Fuel/overheating

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel/overheating
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:34:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Mark Jurras wrote:

> > I believe that the altitude change will result in a lean burning engine.
> > This is due to the higher density of the air at altitude.
>
> Isn't the air density LOWER at higher altitude.
>
> - -Mark   = =o&o

Yes it is less dense. Thus cars often tend to run rich fuel mixtures in
high elevation. Gas stations use to make a lot of money with "high
altitude" tuning (back when carbs on domestic cars were adjustable).
For $7-10, they would turn the fuel mixture screw.

On SU carbs, the standard 12 turns works well for me at elevations up to
12000 feet.

Supposedly, the octane requirements are lower at high elevations. That is
why Montana's premium gas has an octane rating of 88.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net