Re: Are Moss Upholstry Kits Good?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are Moss Upholstry Kits Good?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 17 Jun 1996 16:42:34 -0500
In <199606172106.RAA05410@mh004.infi.net>, Ed Taylor wrote:
>At 08:51 AM 6/17/96 +0000, Robert J Donahue/DELCO wrote:
>>I see Moss Motors is having a sale on upholstry kits. I'm not at
>>that stage yet on my TD restoration but don't want to miss the savings.
>>Any comments on their quality?

>Bob:
>I just bought the Seat cover and panel sets.  The adhesive on several places
>on the panel set had come loose - had to be re-glued, but no other problem.
>Equivalent to Original Equipment.  The seat cover sets seem to be a little
>tight - would have fit over the old cushions, but a tight stretch over new
>foam!  Again, equivalent to original equipment. With a lot of work and
>persuasion, I got a nice fit.  Did not purchase the carpet set from Moss,
>so I can't speak to that.

One of the things that troubles me about the upholstery kits from Moss
is that by and large the material is better than what came on the car.
I took some original panels off my '52 a few years ago.  They were
done in a kind of maroon-ey oilcloth (no texture) that was starting to
crumble.  The stuff from Moss is pebbled, and rather thicker.  Now I'm
sure that it's more robust, but it sure is hard to get the bits to fit
around the wooden rails on the top of the body tub.  I followed
exactly the same folding pattern, and have creases and stuff sticking
out everywhere.  Oh, well, I just keep the top down all the time....
                        A. B. Bonds