Re: Value of Midget MkI?

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Value of Midget MkI?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, W. R. Gibbons wrote:
> Saw an MG Midget Mk I for sale this a.m.  Red with wire wheels.  It seems
> to be fairly well maintained, but it does seem to have a fair amount of
> rust that once was patched and is not re-emerging.  It clearly needs new
> outer rockers, and likely new inners as well.  The rear fenders below the
> chrome strip are clearly at least half bondo and must be replaced, and the
> outside panel on the A post where they all rust is rusty.
>
> I really want someone else to buy this car and fix it up.  It's cute and
> it seems to have been used but not abused.  I spoke to someone who knows
> the owner; he says the owner has had it for many years, and is not sure
> what it is worth.  He's asking what I consider to be a very unrealistic
> price--$3200.
>
> What should this car sell for?

Again, I'd say: depends on where you live.
In Arizona, where I originally bought my Sprite rust-free (!) in very
original shape, running OK, worn suspension, no major flaws, but needed
some paint and a lot of minor work, for $2000 - this car would be worth
$800 to $1200, I would say. And anyone who bought it (except as a parts car)
would be a fool.
In your area, where rust is normal (?), it might be worth much more, but
probably closer to $2200 than $3200, I would guess.

Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy