Re: Front end problems

To: Dennis & Stephanie Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Subject: Re: Front end problems
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 19:46:23 +0200
Hi Dennis,

Today June 22nd, you asked, a.o.:

>#1 Can anyone tell me what the construction of a front sway bar link is? All
>the books, manuals, etc. show it as one piece, but it is not. I cannot
>seperate it from the spring pan due to the nut turning. The link doesn't
>turn, just the bolt or whatever the nut is threaded to.

I suppose you are referring to the anti roll bar drop link.
Actually, the bolt you mention ends in a ball that falls into a spherical cup.
I had the same problem:  the bolt turns together with the nut (Seized).
The thing to do is to file two flats to the bolt at the opposite side of the
wishbone arm
and put a spanner on these flats to prevent the bolt from rotating with the nut.
The same works for the rear shock absorber drop links too!
It's been a few years since I've last done this, but if I remember correctly,
the size of the spanner you can then use is  5/8" AF.

All the books etc. give this link one part #, that's only because you cannot
order the
parts separately, just as an assembly.

>#2 How to seperate a lower fulcrum pin from an A-arm?

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question.
If you mean that the lower trunnion bolt has rusted into the distance tube,
I'd probably loosen the wishbone arms first from the spring seat
and then try to take the assembly apart (provided you have
already taken the wishbone pivot from the car).

>#3 What is a brand name of an "anti-sieze" compound?

(Here in  Europe):

- Copa-Slip (from Molyslip Atlantic Ltd, I think this is a British company),
- Never-Seez, (Manufacturer? I think, Made in USA)
- Molykote CU-7439 Plus (from Dow Corning).

Personally I prefer Copa-Slip but all of these are just fine.
Usual disclaimers apply.

>#4 Best rubber lubricant for installing bushings? I've seen WD-40 mentioned,
>but isn't that petroleum based, and therefore detrimental to rubber?

I bought a small 1 kg (2 lbs) bucket of 'tyre assembly compound' at a local
car parts shop. This should be sufficient for 25 years or so....
This stuff is white and looks like soap. It costs next to nothing and
makes rubber parts VERY slippery and easy to assemble.

Good luck, Dennis!
(Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...)

Bert Palte