RE: 68 MGBGT dead battery

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 68 MGBGT dead battery
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 14:50:44 -0400
Scott wrote:
>Hi folks, I'm new on your list (about two weeks).  I love reading your
>messages.  I have a question-- My 68 MGBGT which I am restoring (over too
>many years) seems to always has a dead battery.  I have replaced the
>battery and put a new alternator on (from Moss, but I have to change the
>conection per Moss' instructions and kit).  My question is how can I
>check to see if the battery is charging??  Or do I have something
>draining the battery??  How can I check to see if their is a drain on the
>battery?

The battery that you have replaced could have gone bad just from the time
it has been under restoration.  This holds true even if you did take care
to disconnect it when put into shop.  The reason is that because of the
actual chemical reactions in a battery it is ALWAYS discharging or
charging-never static.  To prevent this you need to put it on a charger
periodically. (putting a small drain on it first can also help.)  [anyone
with questions on this please feel free to eMail me]

TO TEST FOR A DRAIN:  1) make sure you have a full charge in the battery.
2) make sure EVERYTHING is off. including dome lights.  3) disconnect the
alternator, this is critical as the rectifying bridge in the alt. always
causes a drain.  4)Remove any fuse.  5) Use a good,(sensitive)
multi-meter to measure VOLTS across the two fuse contacts.  Any sign of
voltage shows that current is flowing thru that circut. 6) replace fuse.
7)repeat steps 4-6 for other fuses.

If you find a drain in one of your circuits then the real hunt is on.  If
you have problems isolating it let me know..I'll give you more tips.
Good luck.

John Knight
'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"working on Brit cars is ALMOST as much fun as driving"
"of couse my responces are late - I get the DIGEST version"