Trailer hitch for B

Subject: Trailer hitch for B
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 12:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
I would like to tow a trailer which would carry 4 tires with alloy
wheels, and perhaps a toolbox or floor jack or cooler.

I'm looking at a trailer right now which has "1000 lb capacity requiring
a class 0.5 hitch".  The owner estimates it weighs about 200 lbs by itself.

So far I have only found 1 hitch which will fit right on the B... it's a
bumper-mounted hitch which clamps to the bumper itself.  It is rated at
600 lbs GTW and 35 lbs tongue weight.

I'm guessing a tire and wheel together is about 50 lbs, making about
4x50lbs(tires)+100lbs(cooler and toolbox)+200(trailer empty weight) lbs for
GTW or 100 lbs short of the limit.  Is this too close?

The other hitches I have seen in person seem to be for step bumpers.  No
place to bolt them on a B!  It looks as if I'd have to run a thick strap
between the rear bumper mounts (where the overriders fasten) to provide a
mounting point for a class 1 receiver.  I'm a little leery of adding a
lot of weight so far back on the car because I autocross, which is the
whole reason for this trailer.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"I believe in computer dating, but only if the
computers are truly in love. - Groucho Marx"