Re: Battery charging

To: Dennis & Stephanie Littrell <dlittrel@northernnet.com>
Subject: Re: Battery charging
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 16:29:55 -0500
Wayne Kube wrote:
> Dennis & Stephanie Littrell wrote:
>
> I'm sorry, folks, I really am. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any
> information on how to charge the twin 6-volt batteries in place using an
> external source.  Which cables go where, please?
If you look carefully as to how your batteries are connected, you will see that
the two
six volters make up one twelve volt system.  You will have one terminal
connected to
ground (frame) - it will be a positive terminal on a positive earth car, and
will be
the negative terminal on a negative earth car.  The other terminal on that
battery will
be connected to the opposite polarity terminal on the second battery (positive
negative).  The final terminal will be the one on the second battery that runs
up front
to the starter.  Take your external charger and connect it from this terminal,
the
other charger lead connects to the earth terminal.  Just make _very sure_ to
hook
positive to positive and negative to negative, no matter what the earth
connection is.
You will have one lead hooked to the left battery, the other to the right
battery.  You
are now applying 12 volts from the charger to the 12 volts that your 2 six volt
batteries are making.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX