Re: LBC abuse, brake mods

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: LBC abuse, brake mods
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:57:23 EDT
I haven't followed the abuse thread, but I noticed 'brake mods' in
the title.

I have to ask this question - why fit the stainless braided hoses?

The standard brake hoses are basically a soft rubber core with a
canvas reinforced outer skin of harder rubber, sometimes they have
different textile reinforcements and the rubber is synthetic.

The stainless braided hoses normally seem to consist of two
concentric teflon (or similar) tubes covered by one or two layers of
wire braiding.

If one of the wires in the stainless braiding breaks ( more likely
when ) it will then have two sharp ends that could penetrate the
teflon tubes, result a leak!

The stainless braided pipes are sold for competition use in the UK, I
believe their use on a road car is illegal because of the unseen
internal damage problem. The fact that an item has an illegal use
does not make its sale or possession illegal ( guns !!! ).

Does the roadster have a brake servo fitted, if not make that your
one and only mod, if there is one fitted is it working? Overhaul the
rest of the system to made sure its in good shape, I would suggest
that if you cannot lock at least the front wheels then there is a
fault in the system.

Regards,

Dave
BGT V8