Re: cylinder head temperatures

To: mgs@autox.team.net, TRIFARI@aol.com
Subject: Re: cylinder head temperatures
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:57:59 -0700

> My 1980 MGB runs awful hot under normal running conditions (IE cruising down
> the freeway--no load on the engine).  Water level OK; thermomoeter new (165
> degrees); radiator probably old and in need of attention.  Anyway temp gauge
> usually stays between H and C, but the engine is hot.  (Can't touch the
> radiator hose).  To get a better look at engine temp I installed a cylinder
> head temperature gauge on the console in place of the heater switch, with
> sender attached under the #4 plug.  Any thoughts on what the normal cylinder
> head temperature range should be?  --John Trifari  1980 MGB/1955 Healey BN1

John,

165 degrees F should be just fine. I can't touch the readiator hoses on any of
my
cars while there at running temp. I'm not sure what the temps for that position
would be but I would expect between 175-200 F.  ?

Is there some problem? Boil over, hot stop burping out of coolant, or some other
clinical sign of trouble? If not, drive it!

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer