Re: Vaccum in MGB?

To: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: Vaccum in MGB?
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:37:05 -0400
Agustin de la Calle wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Last Sunday at the Brookline auto museum I saw a red MGB with a normal
> engine. I mean no turbo or compresor, but it had a vaccum gauge.
> Does anybody know why a vacuum gauge would be of some help here?
>
> Cheers,
>         Gus

Well, I have used a vaccum gage to look at manifold pressure to aid in
the fine tuning the timing on my B.  Since my car has a non-standard
exhaust, and carb, and the fact the fuel mixtures are different today
than 20 years ago, the factory "book-spec" is no longer exactly right
for my car.  Adjusting the timing for maximum manifold vaccum (without
obvious backfires or pinging obviously), and then adjusting fuel-air
mixture results in a strong running engine w/o the benefit of an
exhaust gas-analyzer.  But mounting one in a car?  I can't understand
that.