Dipping Et Al

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dipping Et Al
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 23:10:43 -0300 (ADT)
I dunno folks, some of these oil checking proceedures seem rather odd to me.

If the engine functions with oil throughout, then why would you want to
check it after it's all drained back into the sump?

I have always checked the oil level on my Bs (both with the upright
renewable filter cannister) immediately after start-up. Example - EVERY
morning before driving away, I start up the car, allow the oil pressure to
build (a couple of minutes), then shut 'er down, and check the level (on
level ground, natch!). That way, I am assured that the oil the engine
requires is in the engine, not the sump. I would think that you would get an
artificial, or at least inaccurate reading by determining your oil level
with all the oil in the sump.

Opinions? John Twist - what's yer policy?

Terry 'On The Level' Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster