Re: Dipping Et Al

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com
Subject: Re: Dipping Et Al
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:13:59 -0700

> I dunno folks, some of these oil checking proceedures seem rather odd to me.
>
> If the engine functions with oil throughout, then why would you want to
> check it after it's all drained back into the sump?
>
> I have always checked the oil level on my Bs (both with the upright
> renewable filter cannister) immediately after start-up. Example - EVERY
> morning before driving away, I start up the car, allow the oil pressure to
> build (a couple of minutes), then shut 'er down, and check the level (on
> level ground, natch!). That way, I am assured that the oil the engine
> requires is in the engine, not the sump. I would think that you would get an
> artificial, or at least inaccurate reading by determining your oil level
> with all the oil in the sump.
>
> Opinions? John Twist - what's yer policy?
>
> Terry 'On The Level' Williams
> '70 BGT
> '68 roadster

I've got a feeling if we keep picking this nit it will never heal! I've just
been told by an athourotative source that for 20W50 oil at an engine Temp
between
175 and 200 degrees F you need to wait 68.73 seconds after shutting off the
engine, which has been at idle for 78.37 seconds before you check the oil.

Question...Have you checked the oil just after shutting off a hot engine and
then waited for the oil to finish draining down and then checked it again and
found there to be a difference in the measured level? (This is a two part
question.)
And if so how much difference was there? (Make that a three part question.) And
was the difference significant?

:-)

Ken Boetzer

P.S. Was that checked on the level and if one is parked with one wheel on a
piece
of cardboard after sleeping on a stack of mattresses with a pea under there
somewhere..
...uh......What was the question?