Re: Dipping Et Al

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dipping Et Al
From: jsnyder@icds5.dseg.ti.com (James A. Snyder)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 14:23:54 CDT
I believe oil dipsticks are calibrated to be read with warm oil and oil
drained into the sump. Oil, like most other things expands when hot, so you
will get a slightly different reading with cold oil. Also oil gets thinner
and drains down into the sump very quickly when the engine is at operating
temperature.

Therefore, if you check your oil after your warm engine has been turned off
for a couple of minutes, you will probably have 98% or more of the oil in
the sump. I believe that this is the correct procedure and certainly as
accurate as you can get reading a dipstick. As one lister said, fill your
tank up and then check the oil.

BTW, oil measurement with a dipstick is a pretty gross measurement. Your
engine is not really in jeopardy if you are off by a few ounces one way
or the other. I have always seen the difference between checking oil cold
(after engine has set for several hours) and hot to be very slight. If you
like to check your oil with a cold engine, go ahead.  Much better to check
it cold than not at all!

Jim S.