Re: Too much Oil preasure?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Too much Oil preasure?
From: jsnyder@icds5.dseg.ti.com (James A. Snyder)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 13:03:29 CDT
> From mgs-owner@autox.team.net Thu Aug  1 12:40:20 1996
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
> To: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
> Cc: MG Autos <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Too much Oil preasure?
> Sender: owner-mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
> On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, John Knight wrote:
>
> > If it is indeed reading correctly you need to get it down.  Having oil
> > pressure that is too high will push the oil right thru the bearings and
> > not lube your motor.
>
> The idea that having the oil pressure too high will push the oil through
> the bearings without lubing the motor seems improbable to me.  Could you
> please explain?
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Though, I am not a lubricant distribution engineer, I would have to agree
w/ Ray. Sounds kind of iffy to me.

However, regarding problems related to oil pressure being too high, I read
in some Hot Rod type magazines of yesteryear that oil pressures above 100
psi. could erode bearing surfaces and do not provide any benefit as far as
oil distribution is concerned. The erosion seems to be very probable to me,
since water flow can cause significant erosion of brass parts in water
faucets.(notice the gaps eroded in brass faucet seats after a faucet has
been allowed to drip for a long time.)

Jim S.