Re: Too much Oil preasure?

To: taoistjd@ix.netcom.com, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Too much Oil preasure?
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:06:27 -0700

> On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, John Knight wrote:
>
> > If it is indeed reading correctly you need to get it down.  Having oil
> > pressure that is too high will push the oil right thru the bearings and
> > not lube your motor.
>
> The idea that having the oil pressure too high will push the oil through
> the bearings without lubing the motor seems improbable to me.  Could you
> please explain?
>
>    Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                 Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                 gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Ray is asking the right question here. This sounds a little weird to me as
well. The real problem with too high oil pressure is erosion of the bearings,
and possible leaking and failure of the oil filter. 100 PSI will "probably"
not cause a problem for a long time if at all. I've observed oil filters being
blown off by a stuck relief valve, (Big 'merican V8s, I'm sure it's possible
for an LBC engine, just never observed), but I've never observed bearing erosion
so I'm not sure of the lower limit where this becomes a problem. I have observed
oil pressures around 100 PSI without incident or long term (a few thousand mi.)
problems.

If this were my car, I would investigate but not in an urgent mode.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer