Re: Fuel sending unit locking ring removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net, deboer@duke.usask.ca
Subject: Re: Fuel sending unit locking ring removal
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:45:28 -0600
At 07:27 AM 10/09/96 -0700, "Robert Berning" <rhbernin@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the fuel sending unit
>locking ring.  Every book recommends using the service tool. I am not even
>sure how it comes off, I would assume it twists off.  Can I just twist it
>open, pushing on the tabs with a screw driver/wrench.  I thought I would
>ask you guy's before I just bang it with a hammer.

You can twist it by hitting it with a hammer and chisel (or old screwdriver)
and just tapping it so it turns. I did it this spring but I forgot which way
it turns. Anyway, it should be obvious when you look at it. You should be
able to see where the tabs on the locking ring hit the tabs on the tank.

Make shure the fuel level in the tank is below the sending unit hole, and
use a new gasket when putting it back together.

Dirk