Re: Clutch rusted shut!!

To: A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au
Subject: Re: Clutch rusted shut!!
From: fisherk@u.arizona.edu
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:15:03 +0000
The current issue of Moss Motoring explains this exact prob.

1. With engine and parking brake off and vehicle pointed in a safe
direction, use a hydraulic jack to jack up the back end of the car.
You want both wheels off the ground a couple of inches.

2. Get in and shift into high gear. Then start the car and gas up to
1500 RPM.

3. Push in the clutch pedal and keep it in.

4. Gently apply the brakes. This will do it most of the time ,if it
doesn't do the same,clutch in (and no one in front of car!) .At 1500 RPM have
someone snap open the jack and
drop the car. It will lurch forward but the only thing moving the
car is the rust bond because the clutch is in.

Oviously use this at your own descetion!!!!!

> Dear all, I have a bit of a problem!  My fully restored MGB('65, mark I)
> is in Australia while I'm travelling around the world.  I've been away for
> 6 months so far (working in scotland) and I left my car at my parents
> place.  They are starting the engine up for me about every 2-3 weeks, but
> I forgot to tell them that they should drive it around a bit too...to stop
> the clutch from rusting shut.  Well...too late, the clutch doesn't want to
> disengage now!  I won't be home for another 6 months so has anyone got any
> ideas on the best way to loosen the clutch up such that it works
> again...but without having to pull the engine out or anything?  I have a
> few ideas but nothing very good to be honest!  Help!  I don't really want
> to get home and have to replace the clutch unless I have to!  It worked
> just perfectly when I left!  Thanks everyone!  Tony Rayner
> charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au               '65 MGB mark I

"The first ten million years were the worst and the second ten million,
they were the worst too. The third ten million I didnt enjoy at all. After
that I went into a bit of a decline."
 - Marvin reflecting back on his 576,000,003,579 year career as Milliways' car
park attendent.
Keith Fisher Fisherk@U.ARIZONA.EDU