RE: Clutch rusted shut!!

To: MGB <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch rusted shut!!
From: "Cram, Geoff" <gcram@wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:27:00 -0700
I had a similar situation due to leaving my
rebuilt-engine-and-clutch-but-less-than-fully-restored 66B in a humid
New Jersey garage for a year or two.  I worried about this for a while,
then decided to follow the draconian-sounding advice I'd been given: I
jacked up the rear to keep the wheels of the ground, started the engine
and (with no real load on the drive system), gingerly changed gears a
few times while pumping the clutch.  The mild shocks to the drive train
broke loose the clutch in a few moments with no evident damage to the
trans, which is the more fragile, but correct early style.  The clutch
feel showed no signs of roughness afterwards, so the rust must have been
pretty superficial.  I've heard one can also fix this by driving the car
(starting in 1st gear) and shift gingerly, but this seems a little more
risky to me.

So now a question for those who have actually taken such a frozen clutch
apart: is the rust on the input shaft splines?

Geoff Cram
66B
gcram@wdni.com