Re: Clutch rusted shut!!

To: A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au
Subject: Re: Clutch rusted shut!!
From: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:09:52 PST
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:01:37 +1000 (GMT+1000) Anthony Rayner
<A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au> writes:
>Dear all, I have a bit of a problem!  My fully restored MGB('65, mark
>I)
>is in Australia while I'm travelling around the world.  I've been away
>for
>6 months so far (working in scotland) and I left my car at my parents
>place.  They are starting the engine up for me about every 2-3 weeks,
>but
>I forgot to tell them that they should drive it around a bit too...to
>stop
>the clutch from rusting shut.  Well...too late, the clutch doesn't
>want to
>disengage now!  I won't be home for another 6 months so has anyone got
>any
>ideas on the best way to loosen the clutch up such that it works
>again...but without having to pull the engine out or anything?  I have
>few ideas but nothing very good to be honest!  Help!  I don't really
>want
>to get home and have to replace the clutch unless I have to!  It
>worked
>just prefectly when I left!  Thanks everyone!  Tony Rayner
>charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au               '65 MGB mark I

This has happened to me a few times, and this is what I do........Start
the car in neutral, and warm up the engine. Shut it off, put the
transmission in first gear, and start the engine. The car will lurch
forward, hopefully the engine will catch, and you are on your way, with
a clutch that won't disengage. ( Use this technique in a quiet area
without much traffic.) Now......You are driving along in first gear.
Push the clutch in and keep it in. At the same time, hit the gas, then
let off sharply.  Repeat a few times until the clutch breaks loose. It
always works for me.......Good Luck...

Randy Kegg
1958 MGA
1966 Morris Traveller