stupid timing question, mkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: stupid timing question, mkII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:26:56 -0400
Fellow fiends:

Many thanks to the folks who have responed to my latest posting.  In defense
of my car guy support group, let me say that the fellow I was mis-quoteing
is really an okay fellow (he invited me over on Sunday for Wisconsin
bratwurst and beer to watch the Indy race at Road America.  I left an oil
spot in his driveway, to boot.  That's got to mean something.)  In fact,
he's not such a jerk as I portrayed him, tho it is fun to tell him that I
did it on the net :-)

Getting back to the car...  I adjusted the timing down to about 12 btdc
(from 15+) yesterday, and frankly, I think it runs better at 15, so I may
knock it up again (so to speak).  Some folks advised, and it sort of makes
sense to me, that 'book value' is a starting point, but each engine may have
its own sweet-spot a few degrees away.  It appears that the B-series likes a
little more advance, mine in particular.

I assume my vacuum advance works fine as the timing mark does indeed advance
when I rev the engine.  I'd estimate that it advances another 15 degrees up
to about 4krmp and then doesn't go any further at higher rpm.  This is all
eyeball-o-metric as we in the science business say, so... ICBW (I could be
wrong).

comments/suggestions/flames?

Will "check out this strobe, baby" Zehring